Ready to try out the Mediterranean Diet, but don’t know where to start? Here’s where. Right here.
We have made a week of very simple menu plans, to help you get a feel for this kind of eating and diet, to see if it would work for you.
All of the recipes we are using are on our Pinterest Page. Make sure to follow us there, and see the “Menu Plans” board. Take note–any substitutions we make to recipes (for ease, or diet related), are in the captions, so make sure to read there.
We also have a really handy menu plan for each day, and a shopping list. Feel free to save a copy and adjust servings as needed for your family. The week of food is meant for 2 people, with some recipes for 4, so you can have leftovers for lunches. Make sure to toggle over to Sheet 2 of the excel sheet, to see the shopping list.
For some good information on what to look for on this diet, here are some guidelines:
Basics of Mediterranean diet
- Lots of plant based foods-vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts, and legumes
- Focusing on fats from olive oil, canola oil, avocado, nuts, etc. Less animal source fats like butter (less saturated and trans fats).
- Increase spices and herbs, to decrease salt
- Red meat no more than a few times per month
- Fish and poultry several times a week
- Low fat dairy
- Limit processed sugar
- Plenty of exercise
- Optional: Red Wine. If you don’t drink alcohol, you can get the same effects from an unsweetened fruit juice like grape juice, pomegranate juice, or cranberry juice.